WHO CAN APPLY (2023)
- Rising 8th graders (will be in 9th grade in Fall 2023) through rising 11th graders (will be in 12th grade in Fall 2023).
- Students who are not residents of California may apply, COSMOS can admit up to 20 out-of-state students each summer across four campuses.
- Please contact the Statewide COSMOS office with questions about student residency status for application purposes.
- Completed online application, including one personal statement;
- Two teacher recommendations (one required, second recommendation suggested) **STEM teachers preferred, others accepted
- Official high school transcript(s) (9th graders must also submit a copy of their 8th-grade report card)
- Parent/guardian e-Signature(s) in the parent portal
- Application fee ($30)--payable online with a credit card or check
Dates & Deadlines (2023)
- Opening Day 2023: Sunday, July 9, 2023
- Closing Day 2023: Saturday, August 5, 2023
- Online Application Opens: January TBD 2023, at 8:00 AM (PST)
- Online Application Closes: February TBD, 2023 at 5:00 PM (PST) - continues unsupported until 11:59pm
- Completed online application, parent/guardian signature(s), application fee ($30), the financial aid application must be submitted electronically by Feb TBD, 2023
- Admissions Notifications for the COSMOS Program: APRIL TBD, 2023 at 5:00 PM (PDT):
- Offer Acceptance or Decline (no response is considered to decline) to COSMOS due April TBD, 2023, by 5:00 PM (PDT)
- If you ACCEPT your offer, a non-refundable $200 deposit must be paid by April TBD, 2023, by 11:59 PM (PDT). This deposit will go toward tuition and be deducted from the tuition balance. ** Note that this non-refundable $200 deposit is not covered by awarded financial aid. **
- In case the student is admitted from a wait-list later than April TBA, a one-week period will be given to take action on acceptance and payment of the non-refundable deposit.
PAYMENTS (times specific to credit card payments, checks must be postmarked by the date noted)
- $30 Application fee due by February TBD, 2023, at 5:00 PM (PST)
- $200 Non-refundable deposit due by April TBD, 2023, at 5:00 PM (PDT)
- Remaining tuition is due by May TBD, 2023, at 11:59 PM (PDT)
- Credit card payments are available. Please note that a 2.85% service fee will be added to ALL online payments.
- For information on refund requests, see our Refund Policy.
- See our Application and Payment Basics page for information on making payments.
*All refunds exclude the $200 non-refundable deposit*
- Cancellation request received on or before May TBD, 2023, by 5:00 PM (PDT): 100% of remaining tuition paid
- Cancellation request received on or before MayTBD, 2023, by 5:00 PM (PDT): 50% of remaining tuition paid
- Cancellation request received after 5:00 PM (PDT) on May TBD, 2023: NO REFUND
- Dismissal or voluntary departure from the COSMOS program at any time: NO REFUND
Can I apply to multiple campuses?
No, you may only apply to one campus, but you may select one or two cluster options.
Can I apply if I have attended COSMOS before?
How do I know if my high school class meets the cluster prerequisites?
Since admissions decisions and clusters are administered at the campus level, please contact the campus directly for any questions about prerequisites.
How to submit the application fee?
The application fee is payable only in the Parent/Guardian Portal ONLY. Parents will be notified by email to create a login and password. They can then make payments and submit their electronic signature (and submit optional financial aid information).
I submitted an application last year, can I use my same login ID?
Yes. You will need to create a new application each year, as the application may vary from year to year, but you may log in with the same account.
Is the application fee refunded for incomplete or non-admitted applications?
No, the $30 application fee is non-refundable.