In order for everyone to have a safe and successful COSMOS experience, it is important that the rules and procedures established for COSMOS be followed. The most critical rules are shared with you in the Participant Agreement and will be provided to you when you arrive at the program as a reminder. We expect everyone to adhere to all of the rules and procedures established for COSMOS. If you are unable to adhere to the rules, COSMOS staff may contact your parents/guardians to discuss your behavior and whether you should remain in the program. Below is a list of expectations, but generally we hope you will use good judgment.
- Curfew: Not later than 10 p.m., students must be in the residence hall and on their assigned floor.
- Signing in & out: Students are expected to sign in and out of the residence hall when they leave or return, for any reason. We will expect you to use a buddy system or have an RA accompany you when you leave the residence hall.
- Name tags: Students are required to wear a COSMOS name tag at all times.
- Conduct on campus: Faculty, staff, and students conduct important business and teaching on campus throughout the summer. COSMOS students are expected to be quiet and courteous when walking through buildings and hallways.
- Quiet & courtesy hours: Quiet hours will be in place from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m. every day. All other times will be courtesy hours; this means you will be expected to make sure you are not disturbing others. Courtesy and quiet hours will be discussed in more detail at the residence hall meeting.
- Visiting other students: There will be no co-ed visitation (i.e. men on women’s floors and vice versa). COSMOS students are not permitted in non-COSMOS buildings.
- Hosting visitors and friends while you are at COSMOS: Many of you have friends and family in the Davis area. However, you may not host a non-COSMOS visitor during the program.
- Fire and Safety Procedures: The residence halls are equipped with excellent smoke detectors and other fire protection devices. The procedure for exiting the building, if the fire alarm sounds, along with other safety measures will be covered at your first residence hall meeting. Tampering with the fire protection system results in a $125 fine and may result in your being asked to leave the program.
- Leaving campus on weekends: In general, you will not be allowed to leave campus for any reason without 48 hours advance and a Short-term Leave form on file from your parent/guardian. We expect that you will return to campus between 5:00 - 8:30 p.m. on Sunday evenings, unless prior arrangements have been made with COSMOS staff. You must be checked in and out from the residence halls only — departures from any other location will not be permitted.
- Attendance: You are expected to attend class daily, academic outings, and all COSMOS related events. If you become ill and cannot attend class for any reason, you must contact your RA immediately.
- Behavior during field trips and COSMOS outings: You will be expected to be completely ready for departure on-time, follow all procedures during the outings, and display mature conduct while off campus. COSMOS students will be required to wear a COSMOS T-shirt and carry photo identification on all off-campus outings, and on academic outings, wear closed toed shoes.
- Classroom conduct: Gum chewing, eating, drinking, and other distracting behaviors are not allowed in the classroom. You will be expected to keep all classroom and lab areas clean and safe at all times and must wear appropriate clothing in all classes and labs (i.e. closed toed shoes, pants, etc.). Personal equipment such as cell phones, iPods, CD players, stereos, and other electronic devices that could be disruptive in classes are to be left in your room.